“EDUCATION IS NOT PREPARATION FOR LIFE; EDUCATION IS LIFE ITSELF”. – John Dewey
The school follows Cambridge International Curriculum under Cambridge Assessment International Education (CAIE), governed by UCLES, University of Cambridge, London, UK.
- Cambridge International Primary Programme(CIPP)
- Cambridge Secondary 1 & 2
- A Level
A Brief on Academics
In Vikaasa World School the preparatory education consists of three years for the age group 3 to 6 yrs. This is tailor-made to prepare children to enter primary school at the age of 6+.
Primary education which typically entails a 4 year foundation stage starts from grade 1 and ends at grade 4.
The overall aim of this stage is to give the students a good grasp over English, Science, Mathematics and Second language till grade 3. Social science is included from grade 4. Students are also encouraged to participate in co-curricular activities (CCA’s) and Community Involvement Programme (CIP) * that are in place to harness holistic development.
A one year orientation stage then follows for grade 5.
From grade 5 onwards, students are allowed to take a third language, which could be French, Hindi, Malayalam or Tamil. Information Technology also becomes a part of the curriculum from the very initial stages of primary learning.
The secondary stage (grade 6 to 10) that follows , is of 5 year duration that leads to IGCSE examination at the end of grade 10. Students in the secondary course typically take up 7 or 8 subjects and finally appear for the IGCSE exam.
Students who pass IGCSE examination are then equipped to take up a two year course that leads to ‘Advanced level’ conducted by CAIE or IB diploma or any other + 2 syllabus in India.
A Road Map for Your Child’s Education
|Cambridge ‘A’ level exam (Grades 11 & 12)||Age 16-18|
|Cambridge secondary stage II (Grades 9 &10) IGCSE||Age 14-16|
|Cambridge secondary stage I (Grades 6 to 8) Checkpoint||Age 11-14|
|Orientation stage (Grade 5 )||Age 10-11(CIPP continues)|
|Foundation course (Grade 1- Grade 4)||Age 6-10 (CIPP)|
|Preparatory (P1, P2 & P3)||Age 3-6 (Kindergarten)|
Homework and Assignments
The Vikaasa World School believes in the policy of minimum daily homework assignments as the children are expected to complete all their assignments in the school itself. However assignments may be given in terms of projects/exercises etc. if required.
Special attention classes are organized for slow learners after the school.
IGCSE SUBJECTS OFFERED AT VWS 9 & 10
|SCIENCE STREAM||MANAGEMENT STREAM|
|1.||ENGLISH AS II LANGUAGE – 511||ENGLISH AS II LANGUAGE – 511|
|3||HINDI AS II LANGUAGE – 549||HINDI AS II LANGUAGE – 549|
|4||MATHEMATICS – 580||MATHEMATICS – 580|
|5||PHYSICS – 625||ART & DESIGN – 0400|
|6||CHEMISTRY – 620||BUSINESS STUDIES 0450|
|7||BIOLOGY – 610||TAMIL – 3226|
|8||ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT – 0680||ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT – 0680|
|9.||INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY – 0417||INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY – 0417|
|10.||PHYSICAL EDUCATION – 0413||PHYSICAL EDUCATION – 0413|
What is “A” Level ?
‘A’ level is a two year programme after 10TH std. conducted by the university of Cambridge UK. “A” level is one of the most recognized qualifications around the world. It is accepted as a proof of academic ability for entry into universities, institute of higher education and military schools, and is equally important for young people moving into employment. These exams are highly specialized and comprise of only three subjects. International ‘A’ level is a “gold standard” qualification. It has exactly the same value in admitting students to Universities as the U.K. equivalent and is accepted as an entry level qualification by Universities world wide.
It offers flexibility of going abroad to the desired college and studying further in India as well.”A” level examination is equivalent to the XII std examination and is recognized by any board in India and hence the students can appear for any of the competitive examinations.
The following sections provide more details about the LSP, IGCSE & GCE “A” LEVEL PROGRAMS with subject combinations offered at VWS
CAIE is part of Cambridge Assessment, Europe’s largest assessment agency and a department of the University of Cambridge. Cambridge Assessment was established in 1858 as the University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate (UCLES), and celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2008.
- CAIE examinations are taken in over 160 different countries
- Cambridge qualifications are recognized by universities, colleges and employers across the globe.
IGCSE – LOWER SECONDARY PROGRAM – GRADES 6 - 8
The Cambridge Lower Secondary Programme is a framework for educational success for students approximately 11-14 years old.
It builds on the primary stage, and develops children’s knowledge and skills in Mathematics, English and Science.
The Lower Secondary Programme has been developed to link seamlessly with the Cambridge Primary Programme and provides standardised tests to allow careful monitoring of progress from primary to lower secondary phases. It also provides excellent preparation for students embarking on IGCSE or O Level courses.
SUBJECTS OFFERED AT VWS – GRADES-6, 7 & 8
IGCSE PROGRAM for grades 9 &10
WHAT IS IGCSE ?
- The International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) is provided by University of Cambridge International Examinations (CIE), one of the world’s leading providers of examinations
- IGCSE is a high profile qualification with an excellent reputation
- It is recognized by universities and institutes of higher education around the world
- It is equivalent in standard to the British GCSE and International GCSE O Level examinations.
- The IGCSE is a balanced international curriculum which is designed to encourage high academic standards through a practical approach to teaching and learning.
- The curriculum consists of a two year course of study leading to an examination which is typically taken at the end of Grade 10.(10th Standard in Indian curriculum)
- Successful students receive an internationally recognized qualification, the IGCSE.
- Where a student is found fit after 8th grade from any curriculum, the student can pursue IGCSE from grade 9 onwards and take CIE exams at the end of grade 10
Cambridge IGCSE develops learner knowledge, understanding and skills in:
- Subject content
- Applying knowledge and understanding to familiar and new situations
- Intellectual enquiry
- Flexibility and responsiveness to change
- Working and communicating in English
- Influencing outcomes
- Cultural awareness
This course provides broad knowledge and develops creative thinking, application orientation for the concepts learned and enquiry into every aspect of the learning.
- IGCSE provides a foundation for higher level courses, including A and AS Levels and the AICE Diploma.
- Good IGCSE grades count towards entry to universities and colleges around the world.
- IGCSE offers students a flexible course of study that gives them the freedom to select the subjects that are right for them.
- Study and examination at IGCSE provide a broad knowledge base and learning skills that provide excellent preparation for higher studies and employment.
What are the subjects in the IGCSE curriculum?
There are five Subject Groups in IGCSE with several subjects to choose from, in each group:
- Group 1: Languages (First Language, Second Language, Foreign Language, etc)
- Group 2: Humanities and Social Sciences (Geography, English Literature, History, etc)
- Group 3: Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, etc)
- Group 4: Mathematics (Mathematics, Additional Mathematics.
- Group 5: Creative, Technical & Vocational (Accounting, Business Studies, Computer Studies, Music, etc)
What is the International Certificate of Education (ICE) that is awarded to some IGCSE students?
The ICE is more prestigious than the standard IGCSE. Instead of the five papers needed to obtain the IGCSE, if a student attempts and passes seven or more papers, s/he is awarded the ICE. The seven subjects must be as follows:
- Two subjects from the language group
- One from each of the other four groups
- One more from any of the five groups
GCE “A” LEVEL SUBJECTS 'XI' & 'XII'
|SCIENCE STREAM||MANAGEMENT STREAM|
|PHYSICS 9702||ACCOUNTING 9706|
|BIOLOGY 9700||BUSINESS STUDIES 9609|
|MATHS 9709||MATHS 9709|
|BUSINESS STUDIES 9609||ENGLISH LANGUAGE 9093 [AS]|
|COMPUTER SCIENCE 9608||COMPUTER SCIENCE 9608|
|ENGLISH LANGUAGE 9093 [AS]|
|ART & DESIGN 9479||ART & DESIGN 9479|
Textbooks endorsed by CAIE are followed for all the courses of CAMBRIDGE
For more details regarding IGCSE or GCE “A” LEVEL log on to https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/